Tips to De-ice the Windshield of Your Car in San Joseby fastladmin July 11, 2019
Cold, freezing weather can be a disappointment when it interferes with outdoor activities. This kind of weather not only affects people negatively, but cars also bear the brunt in many different ways. The cold temperatures can lower the pressure within your tires, making it difficult to start your battery, and even create deposits of ice on the windshield of the car. All these can greatly impair the functions of your car and even render the car impossible to drive.
The windshield of the car is one of the most important parts of the car that permits the driver to get unobstructed vision of the road while driving. The windshield is also made of fortified glass material that prevents objects from getting into the car while driving. Such debris would make it unsafe to drive the car. In freezing temperatures, ice tends to form on the windshield of the car, so let’s take a look at how to de-ice your windshield.
How It Happens
The ice on the windshield forms when water vapor in the atmosphere cools off as a result of very low temperatures. When the vapor cools off completely, ice is formed on the windshield. This process happens faster on windshields because the glass material makes it easier for the cooling process to happen.
Ice frozen on the windshield of your car will automatically impair the visibility of the windshield. This makes the car unsafe to drive and necessitates the removal of the ice before embarking on any journey. Removing the ice from the windshield can take some effort and this can be a real inconvenience, especially if you were in a rush.
How to De-Ice the Windshield
The process of scraping off the ice from your windshield can be extremely tedious. However, de-icing the windshield of your car doesn’t have to be a nightmare. You can get the ice off your windshield in the following simple ways:
● Start the car to let it warm up for at least 15 minutes, until you notice the ice starting to melt.
● Mix rubbing alcohol and water in the ratio of 2:1 and spray it onto the windshield in order to lower the freezing point of water. Using dish-washing solution in place of alcohol can also serve the same purpose.
● Add a salt water solution onto the windshield to dissolve the ice. You can do this by mixing some salt and water in a spray bottle and spraying the mixture all over the windshield and let the ions in the salt dissolve the ice.
● If all the DIY methods fail, you can buy a de-icing solution and keep it handy for these kinds of situations.
In order to reduce the chances of ice forming on the windshield you can take the following proactive measures:
● Mix three parts of vinegar with one part of water in a spray bottle and spray the mixture onto your windshield before leaving it overnight to reduce chances of the ice forming.
● Cover your car using a tarp in the night or when you are not using it in freezing cold temperatures. You can also cover the windshield using a towel to help prevent the ice from forming.
● Use commercial de-icing solutions on the windshield of your car overnight.
Precautions to Take When De-Icing Your Windshield
In an attempt to de-ice your windshield, you should be careful about the following;
● Scratching off the ice using sharp objects can damage the windshield and cause poor visibility and should therefore be avoided.
● When using salt water to remove the ice from your windshield, you should be careful about the amount of salt that you use because too much salt can damage the windshield.
● Never try to use boiling water to de-ice the windshield because the sudden change in temperature may cause cracks to develop, causing further problems.
In the event that you still need a helping hand to get rid of the ice and ensure that you are ready in case ice forms on your windshield, you should not hesitate to seek the help of a certified auto-mechanic. Fast Lane European has knowledgeable mechanics that are always available on-call to help with all your vehicle needs in the San Jose, CA area.
- Reasons Behind Volvo Transfer Case Failure From the Best in San Jose
- Reasons for Differential Failure in Your Mini
- How Your Mini’s Faulty Drive-Axle Boots Can be Fixed by the Experts in San Jose
- How to Replace the Clutch Slave Cylinder in Your Luxury Car
- How to Maintain a BMW 4 Series Coupe From Expert Mechanics in San Jose